Holiday Safety Tips at Home

The holiday season is upon us and that means festive home decorating, late night parties and cozy evenings with loved ones gathered around a crackling fire.

Special lifelong memories are created this time of year and we want everyone to enjoy a peaceful, joyful and safe holiday season. Remember to use precautions and follow the holiday safety tips below so you can relax and enjoy every moment with friends and family this year.

Christmas Trees

  • Inspect your live tree for freshness.  A healthy fresh tree will be  green and the needles will be bendable and not pull easily from branches. Avoid trees with brittle yellowing, needles.
  • Keep christmas trees away from fireplaces, vents, and radiators since they can dry out a live trees and boost chances it will catch fire.
  • Monitor tree stand daily and keep filled with water to prevent dry out.
  • Place the tree out of the way of foot traffic and do not block doorways.
  • Check for a “Fire Resistant” label when buying an artificial tree, but still exercise caution since an artificial tree, like a live tree, can still catch fire.

Holiday Decorations and Decor

  • Avoid sharp, weighted, or breakable decorations that can fall and injure children or pets.  Also, tree decorations with small removable parts or ones that resemble food or candy out of children/pet’s reach to avoid choking dangers.
  • Don’t leave burning candles unattended.  Extinguish all candles before you go to bed or leave the house.  Make sure candles rest on a  stable, heat-resistant surface and away from flammable items including trees, decorations, curtains and furniture.
  • Inspect lighting for damage. Discard light strings with broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections.
  • Indoor extension cords should never be used outdoors. Check your extension cord to make sure it is rated for the intended use.
  • Check outdoor lights for labels showing that the lights have been certified for outdoor use, and only plug them into a ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)-protected receptacle or a portable GFCI.

Fireplaces

  • Call in a pro to inspect and clean the chimney professionally before using.
  • Fire salts, which produce colored flames when thrown into lit fireplaces, should be kept away from small children and pets since they contain toxic chemicals that can cause severe illness if ingested.
  • Spent wrapping paper and cardboard boxes ignite quickly and burn intensely. Throw in the garbage and NOT  in the fireplace since it can start a dangerous a flash fire.

The holidays can be the most wonderful time of the year, as long as you stay safe during them. Be sure to take the precautions you need in order to fully enjoy the season.